Thursday, October 16, 2008

5 Thoughts on a Thursday

1) It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor... I found myself singing that song softly this afternoon as I walked down our picturesque street under clear blue skies. So it's true, it is a beautiful day, but it is also ironic because I absolutely hated Mr. Rogers as a kid. I hated him so much that I would literally hide behind the furniture when his show would come on and make explode-y noises at the TV until it was time for Sesame Street.

2) And how have I spent this fabulous day? Why, online, applying for jobs, of course. I interviewed last week for a job with Open Court Books, and am now nervously checking my e-mail every five minutes to see if they've made a decision. Your prayers to your respective God or gods are appreciated. If you are sans deity, may I suggest sacrificing an owl to Athena? Or, if the zookeeper won't let you "borrow" his Great Horned, you could simply build a small stack of rocks in front of your door. You don't even have to tell anyone that it's a phallus dedicated to Hermes Agoraeus. It can just be a pile of rocks.

3) I'm sorry for implying that softball is inherently easy and does not require vast amounts of athleticism and technical skill. It is a great sport and I hope that the Olympics end up keeping it. Next time, I will use the term "nerf ball." Now, don't you have reading to do?

4) I got my absentee ballot today! I haven't opened it yet, but I am hoping for lots of crazy ballot measures that, like, outlaw taxes, or establish property values based on the results of some dude walking around your house with a dowsing rod. You know - Oregon stuff.

5) "Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man." - Bertrand Russell

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

odd- Lately- as in the past week -a 'crop' of stone towers has grown on one part of Bosco's running trail. He and I have contributed several very artistically placed stones. I place them, he anoints them. Now we both know who we're honoring. thank you and good luck!

jim v said...

So that's why you where behind the couch during Mr. Rogers. One life's great mysteries solved! As for the democracies tending to think a stupid is man is more honest, they have clearly never met George Bush before. Unless they themselves are stupid then.... oh never mind.

PS - Glad to hear Bosco still has a running trail.