Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Just When I think I'm Out, They Pull Me Back In

So it's Tuesday. R.A. is at work and I am toddling about our new apartment on the North Side, unpacking and putting our books back on the shelves. My cell phone rings. It's Linda, the property manager from our old high-rise building in Hyde Park.

"Hello?"
"Yes, hi Joel, this is Linda."
"Hi."
"I don't know if you realized this, but your rent with us doesn't expire until the end of September."
"Excuse me?"
"Yes, maybe you mis-read your lease, but you and R.A. are going to have to pay us for another month."
"But that doesn't make any sense. We moved in at the beginning of September. Who signs a 13-month lease?"
"I don't know, but if you could find a way to get us pay-"
"Hold on a sec."

I put down the phone and go get our copy of the lease.

"Linda?"
"Yes, like I was saying, if you could pay us by -"
"The copy of our lease that I have here says that our rent expires August 31st."
Silence.
"I'm sorry, what did you say?"
"Yeah, right here, it says, 'Lease Expires: 8/31/08'."
More silence.
"Are you sure?"
"Yes, I am sure."
For a third time, silence.
"Joel, um... can I call you back? I need to look into this."
"Sure."

She eventually did call me back, later in the afternoon. She said that there had apparently been some kind of bureaucratic mistake and that they actually had one copy of our lease that had August 31st as the move out date and another that listed it as September 30th. She then did apologize and bid us best of luck with our new home.

But still, they're sure trying their damnedest to make me not miss living in Hyde Park at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sure there is something, somewhere that you benefited from some how, that I in one way or another did on your behalf or provided a service, transportation or much needed social support at a an earlier time in your life that would require some sort of monetary compensation. So....

Could you send a check?