Tuesday, June 9, 2009

We Should Invade Indiana

I am such a dork. I think that this ad, by Nike, is the coolest thing ever:

http://www.unitedcountriesofbaseball.com/images/UCOB-1280x960.jpg

It combines my appreciation for baseball, crazy-made up maps, and early American history. I especially love how most of the West - including Eastern Oregon - is still "unincorporated territory." Also that the White Sox country is completely surrounded by the Cubs. (But since when did the Cubs colors include orange?)

Sadly, with the Lakers up 2-0 now, I have turned my full attention to baseball. Of course, that hasn't been much better for me, with the ChiSox playing like a bunch of lollygaggers so far this season.

And even the early promise of a Kansas City - Pittsburgh World Series has faded, with the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Phillies all rising to the top of their respective divisi0ns. I am probably in the minority when I say that a Royals-Bucs final would be good for Major League Baseball: Two older franchises, with strong histories but who haven't won in a while, two struggling, mid-west cities that could use the marketing and economic attention, etc. But, no. Everyone in the front offices at the MLB just want the big money match-ups. Thinking about it, I think the following is the ideal situation for MLB in terms of viewership:

NLDS: Mets vs. Cubs, Dodgers vs. Phillies
ALDS: Yankees vs. Angels, Red Sox vs. White Sox
NLCS: Cubs vs. Dodgers
ALCS: Yankees vs. Red Sox
WS: Yankees vs. Dodgers

Of course, I'm sure they wouldn't mind a Cubs-Red Sox Series. But with NY-LA, you're guaranteed to get that West Coast viewing market.

So with that in mind, I proudly present the worst possible match-ups:

NLDS: Rockies vs. Reds, Pirates vs. Nationals
ALDS: Mariners vs. Rays, Royals vs. Orioles
NLCS: Rockies vs. Pirates
ALCS: Rays vs. Royals
WS: Rockies vs. Royals

(Sigh) A boy can dream, can't he?

No comments: