Thursday, July 23, 2009

5 Thoughts On A Thursday

1) I have a whole slew of longer blog posts that have gotten backed up, so today I'm just going to try to get this out.

2) This is one of the funniest things that I've read on the Internet in a long time: Shocking: Man Finds "Menage A Trois" Secret to Successful Relationship. My favorite quote is:

The ménage is certainly not for everyone, its demands are taxing and there are victims. Many now claim that the affairs of Sartre and De Beauvoir were exploitative, that their "third parties" were abused. Their lovers were certainly not treated as equals (ironic, as they were both Gauchiste radicals). To the modern mind, which advocates equality, fairness, and the avoidance of all conflict, this must seem utterly undemocratic - a tyranny of the passions...Nonetheless, one must look at the many artists and radicals who were involved in ménages and acknowledge the power of the artworks and concepts that have been unleashed from living in such a way.
Doesn't it just make you want to give this dude a wedgie? I mean, I think we all know this guy: That 22-year old who had his heart broken once too often in high school, and now thinks that every relationship that he has ever had is just laden with meaning. Also, I'm pretty sure he's the only person ever to refer to "De Beauvoir," rather than "Beauvoir." Odd.

3) R.A. and I visited our friends in Minnesota, Mr. and Mrs. H Richard Spryte, last weekend. Next weekend, we're going to New Hampshire to visit her family and celebrate her brother's high school graduation. With all of this traveling around the country, I've visited more than a few cool towns. The following is my tentative list of crazy-cool American towns about which I would like to write someday:

Ashland, OR (19,522)
Duluth, MN (84,397)
Walla Walla, WA (31,350)
Burlington, VT (38,889)
Farmington, ME (7,410)

4) Mark Buehrle just completed a perfect game against the Rays! That's awesome. I was considering going to the game this afternoon, and now I am sad that I didn't. For historical reference, this was the 18th perfect game in the history of baseball. (I was listening on the radio.) But, you know, if I had gone, I know that it wouldn't have happened. The metaphysics of baseball are funny that way. Somehow, I am certain that the presence of my very Being at the ballpark would have effected the outcome, and Buehrle would've given up a hit, or Ramirez would have committed an error, or Wise wouldn't have made that great catch to prevent a home run. Or it would've rained. One man's superstition is another man's religion. Also, this win puts the Sox in a tie with Detroit for the AL Central division lead. Next up: at Detroit, at Minnesota, vs. Yankees, vs. Angels. This could be exciting.

5) "Everyone takes the limits of his own vision as the limits of the world." - Schopenhauer

Update 5:57 pm: Obama Calls Buehrle After Perfect Game

Presidents have a long history of calling Major League Baseball clubhouses to offer congratulations, but it typically has been after a World Series clincher. This was another extreme example of Obama's love for baseball and specifically the White Sox.

Buehrle explained after the call that Obama also "was taking a little bit of credit because he wore the White Sox jacket at the All-Star Game and I told him how surprised I was that he actually did it. He said, 'Congratulations,' and it's an honor. A lot of people are going to remember this forever."

Obama's such a nerd. I actually saw some people at U.S. Cellular Field wearing #44 Obama White Sox jerseys. I think it's hilarious/awesome that you can get those.

1 comment:

jim V. said...

I personally have never found anything crazy-cool about Walla Walla, WA except the Green River Killer is there. Oh and maybe the John Candy Character - Wally Walker from Walla Walla, Washington. Oh wait that was Tom Tuttle from Tacoma. Never mind.