Friday, April 10, 2009

5 Thoughts On a Thursday Friday

I started this posting yesterday afternoon, and am just now finishing it today. It's one of three or four longer postings that I've been sitting on for a while now. Hopefully I will get to the others sometime soon.

1) Eliot says that April is the cruelest month, but I say that's a load of crap. April is much nicer than August, November, December, January, February, or March. That puts at just at or maybe even a little above average in my book. Really, "The Wasteland" should start: "April is the cruelest month, except for all those other months that are even worse..." I don't know. Maybe it's an English thing. What with the rain and all.

2) Speaking of The Lost Generation, buy me this book.

3) Last night On Wednesday, R.A. and I went to The Empty Bottle to watch Jason Webley play. Jason has the most fun-per-pound of any musician that I have ever seen. Every time that I have seen him he has been a one-man show (although I guess that he has a band that he tours with from time to time) and he plays the guitar, accordion, jug of coins, and there's lots of clapping and stomping and shouting. It's actually kinda hard to compare him to anything... Maybe like Dick van Dyke from "Mary Poppins" if Bert were way more into Thanatos and numerology.* Either way, Jason rarely comes to Chicago, so we need to get to work to make sure that he comes back soon.

Also, my high opinion of Jason Webley has nothing to do with the fact that I got to hang out with him after he played at Bard one time, and that R.A. and I drove him to the Kingston bus station the next day.

4) How about those Tar Heels? I have come to believe that the "madness" in March Madness is due to the fact that the betting formats are set up so that someone like me, who barely follows college basketball and picks a little more than half of the match-ups correctly through the first four rounds, can end up second in his pool just by getting lucky in the Final Four.

Also, I love this video:



Ten minutes of Obama talking to some dude from ESPN about his bracket picks. I like the video because I get the feeling that Obama is barely tolerating the fact that he has to do this. You really start to get this impression around 8:11, when he starts talking about the NATO summit. As in, "This is fun, but I should really be going and preparing for the NATO summit."

5) "It was hard to imagine someone so beautiful could be real. I was afraid that he might disappear in a sudden puff of smoke, and I would wake up." - Bella Swan

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy


* Come to think of it, maybe Bert is always already into those things. He's kind of like a crazy hobo who magicks unsuspecting little bourgeois kids into the nether-realms. What the hell is that show about, anyways?!

No comments: