Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Kids Say The Darnedest Things, Day 78

Today, in the 7th/8th grade writing class, we were writing paragraphs on what the students were learning in their Social Studies classes. J- has been learning about American history, and he wanted to write about the Yankees teams of the 1930's and 40's, and about how important they were as public heroes to the American people. An excellent topic, I thought, but J- needed a little help first.

"What was the name of that guy who played for the Yankees?" he asked.

I turned to look at him.

"What?" I said.

"What was the name of that guy who played for the Yankees?" J- repeated, obviously becoming irritated with my inability to know the name of that guy.

"Babe Ruth." Sure, I thought. Why not.

"Nooo, Mr. W!" exclaimed J-. "The other guy who played for the Yankees!"

I paused, intending to make it a pause pregnant with meaning, hoping that J- would pick up on it. But just in case he didn't:

"Lou Gehrig."

"NO!" I was getting worried that J- was about to spring up out of his seat, and possibly take off his shirt, he was so upset. "His name was, like, Najeeo, or something."

"You mean Joe DiMaggio?"

"Yeah! That's it!"

Pleased with myself, and with the fact that my answer got J- writing again, I turned to help the next student.

"Mr. W?" I heard from behind my back. "Can you write that on the board?"

No comments: